It is almost that time of year again! The sun is already out and shining and it won’t be long before you find yourself in flip flops or sandals. Are your feet beach ready? Dry, cracked heels are a common condition in both men and women.
There are several factors that contribute to dry feet and cracked heels, including:
- Not wearing socks: The remedy? Wear socks on cement and hardwood floors!
- Use of harsh soaps and cleansers: The fix? Substitute with mild cleansers free of harmful toxins and allergens!
- Too much sun exposure: The solution? Limit time in the sun (especially during peak hours), and always wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30. Yes that includes your feet!
And now for tips on how to get your feet beach ready! First and foremost, you have to get rid of that dry, cracked skin. The best way to remove dead skin cells is with an Epsom salt or vinegar soak for your feet. These soaks are both effective for drawing out infection and preparing your feet to be ready for the pumice stone. You will want to be careful to limit soaks, as too many can lead to hyper-hydration. Hyper-hydration is not good for your skin and can lead to a vicious cycle of wet skin that then becomes thick before cracking and peeling.
Add 3-4 cups of vinegar to a half full bathtub of lukewarm water. Soak your feet for 12-15 minutes. You can opt to add a 1/4 cup of Epsom salts to the vinegar soak, or, for a soak with Epsom salts alone, add a single cup to the equivalent water requirement. After your soak, do not rinse your feet. Use a pumice stone on the roughest patches of your feet, which are typically the heels and balls of the feet! This will help to remove the dead skin cells and dry skin peelings.
- Nail scissors: Use nail scissors to cut hanging skin around the nail. Avoid cutting cuticles.
- Push back cuticles: If you can find a cuticle remover free of harmful toxins and skin irritants, use it to help with this measure. Push the cuticle back. Avoid cutting cuticles, as they help prevent your nail bed from fungi
and infection. The best tool to push your cuticles back is an angle-tipped nail stick. Replace this tool annually to prevent risk of infection.
- Nail files: Use a use a nail-file with a 180-grit if you are trying to shorten your natural nails. Coarser nail files can damage your nails and cause them to split. While metal nail files are easier to sterilize, if you have thin nails they can be too hard on your nails, as well.
- Discolored nails: Lemons contain oxidizing agents that will brighten discolored nails! Rub a lemon wedge on affected nails for one minute! Be careful not to expose healthy skin to the lemon, as the citric acid may irritate it. If the discoloration does not subside, you may have a fungal infection and should seek medical advice for treatment.
- Buffing block: Buff the toenails surface in a back and forth motion to get them to shine!
- Safety: Always sterilize pedicure tools and for non-metal utensils replace them when needed.
And now back to the feet and heels! After you have given yourself a foot soak and the all-natural pedicure above, it is time for the most imperative part of treating dry, cracked heels–moisturizing!
There are a few things to consider when moisturizing:
- Timing is everything: The best time to apply moisturizers are 3-5 minutes after showering or baths. This is the most optimal time for moisture lock. Apply a moisturizer at least twice per day.
- Thicker products: Heavy creams and ointments are effective in treating dry skin conditions, including:chapped heels, severe cracks and deep fissures.
- Avoid Allergens: It is important to read labels and avoid using products that are formulated with allergens and skin irritants. Visit our extensive list of toxins and allergens.
- Home Remedies: There are hundreds of do-it-yourself home remedies, soaks and scrubs, claiming the cure for cracked heels. Be careful about what you put on your feet! Some of these remedies involve putting harmful chemicals and known allergens on the skin. Others are just plain ludicrous. Many home remedies have incorporated the use of things that while may be alright for consumption, have been shown to cause allergic reactions when applied topically. These include, olive oil, sunflower oil, mouthwash and colloidal oatmeal.
There is a two step process for application of the products included in the TrueLipids Cracked Heels Kit. The kit includes both the Ceramide + cream and the relieve and Protect Ointment. Apply the ceramide cream at least twice per day. However, for deeper cracks and fissures, I recommend a four times per day application.
And now for the overnight care! You will need: TrueLipids Relieve and Protect Ointment, saran wrap, white cotton socks and your pumice stone. Before bed apply a small amount of ointment to your dry, cracked heels. Cover it with a small piece of saran wrap and then put on your socks. In the morning, remove the saran wrap. Use your pumice stone to remove dead skin on days three and seven of the first week of treatment. You will be amazed by the results.
What Sets TrueLipids Apart From the Rest?
One thing that sets our cracked heels treatment apart from the other, is that TrueLipids is free of Urea or Salicylic Acid. When urea is manufactured, 1,4 Dioxane, a carcinogenic by-product is formed. It is very easily absorbed and high concentrations can be detrimental to people who have diabetes, kidney disease and people who are prone to gout. Higher levels of urea have been associated with rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases.
Salicylic acid is absorbed through the skin and excreted through the kidneys. When large surfaces are exposed to Salicylic acid, or it is left on the skin for long periods of time, large amounts will be absorbed. When you have kidney disease or diabetes, salicylic acid can become toxic through build up, affecting the heart and other vital organs!
By adhering to the guidelines outlined in this article, you are sure to obtain beach ready feet! As a special Memorial Day offer to help you put an end to cracked feet before summertime we are offering a free TrueLips Lip Balm, a $20 value, yours for free with purchase of the TrueLipids Cracked Heels Kit!
Results from using TrueLipids Cracked Hands & Feet Kit, which includes products that address cracked and dry skin.